Dredge Developer Blog – Sprint 20
In our Developer Blog Updates we’ll talk about some of the work we’ve completed in the previous two weeks and explain our approaches. Through this you’ll get an understanding of our game development methods and tidbits on the features we’re planning for Dredge!
This sprint was all about breaking the back of Gale Cliffs and working on our star of the Gale Cliffs show; our monster. Worked on by all three devs in our team, this guy took a lot of coordination, collaboration and troubleshooting to get him to behave how we wanted him to. Did we succeed? You’ll let us know down the line!
Gale Cliffs Buoys
Placed some pathing lights in the ocean to help players make their way to Gale Cliffs in the dark.
Area of Interest Map Icon
Characters you talk to within Dredge can now lead to temporary markings being placed on your map to give players a clearer indication of where they might search for items or information.
Rumors are there are some very special and rare species that can be found in Dredge if you look hard enough, your reference fish encyclopedia isn’t much help though — while it usually tells you roughly what areas you can find certain fish in, these four species are a mystery.
Day/Night Trawl Zones
Just like with Rod fishing the types of creatures you catch in your trawl net now depends on the time of day, with some creatures only netable in the night, or the morning.
Ingfell Town Environment Art
A once prosperous whaling village now well beyond the time of its heyday. Just a handful of people remain in this town, but it serves them well.
New Fish + Item Art
The second part of our Gale Cliffs Fish ticket, we now have Wreckfish, Tiger Mackerel, Decorator Crabs, Rock Crabs and the exotic Oarfish art in Gale Cliffs.
The Marrows has some new night fish art in the squid, black grouper and black-tip shark
Additionally we also now have an inventory asset for the explosives.
- Remove Silver Trophy — Previously we had a trophy for catching the biggest size of a species of fish, as well as the smallest. Then we thought it was a bit weird that we were giving prizes for catching baby fish. Thats gone now.
- Small increase to the circumference of the default boat light players begin with
- New fishy descriptions for some of our new seafood characters
- “Book complete” banner — we added the banner system a couple of sprints ago, now you’ll get one of those banners whenever you finish reading a book
- Quest destructible wall now has some additional assets to show it’s been rigged up to blow